Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 33 // Pastrami

Today Joanne was moved to a lovely room in the TRACU (Trauma Recovery & Acute Care Unit).

!

This afternoon we put the cap onto the end of the trach and asked Aunt Joanne if she'd like to share anything with her fans. With Team Jojo.

>>>


Light shines through the birch leaves into the room through her large picture windows.

Hannah: "If you could eat or drink anything right now, what would it be?"

Kelty: "Cigarettes don't count."

Big smile from Joanne

Long pause, lots of blinking. A couple toe twitches. Eye brow raises, looks from Jani to Hannah.


Joanne: "pastrami"

<<<

:)

More tomorrow on how she's doing- so far her stats have remained stable, and she'll continue to have her wound vac changed every 2 or 3 days. She's seeing an occupational therapist and today met a speech therapist. She's not easily making or saying words, and we're not quite sure why that is. Could be the discomfort from the trach tube or tube in her throat, could be the lack of practice using her vocal chords the last month, could be fogginess from the crazy pain meds (oxycodone and phentanyl) that she's doped up on... maybe a combination. Either way, it's going to be day by day, practice and patience. What a big step today, right?

We've also just begun to broach the subject of what happened. JoAnne nodded when she asked if she had questions, and but she hasn't been able to communicate what they are. We've told her she had a terrible infection, and it was very scary... and they did surgeries to remove it. She hasn't asked beyond that, or mentioned her leg, so we're taking it slow with that one. Will keep you posted.

Seeing as though you have known what Joanne has been up to every day of the last month, we think she'd love to hear what you've been up to. If you have a moment, please send a list of top five things going on in your life in the last month! It can be bullet points or have even have a description after each number... whatever you'd like to share! Practical, philosophical, cuisinal, emotional... you name it! We'll read them to Joanne so she can think about you and hear the comings and goings of your life... lots to catch up on.

Please email them to hannaholavarria@gmail.com

Much love,

Team JoJo

4 comments:

  1. Another amazing milestone - yay! I love that she said Pastrami!!!

    I know there are going to be tough conversations ahead...hang in there!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. PASTRAMI!!!!! AAAALL RIGHT! You go girl!! Only JoAnne would come up with that one! Who wudda thunk it? Ooops, sorry JoAnne, I know it drives you up a wall when my NYC grammar slips out, but I am SO excited and happy that you are getting much better. LOVE YOU , LOVE YOU, LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was writing merrily along, and my computer shut down for updates.......dang! anyhow,,,I never wrote about what songs to play for Joanne...and I just want to talk about how Joanne used to play Guitar and sing for us....I was such an adorer of Joanne! My top favorite Joanne "Hit" is "The Cat Came Back"......Remember, Jani?
    The last time I got to see Joanne was when Conrad was 4 or so, at a deli with Jani and Kim....and Conrad was not very good at sitting still.....there was much enthusiasm about spankings going `round,,,,so I finally took Conrad to the bathroom and gave him one! haha....one of his 5 or so total spankings for his entire life!

    Now Conrad is 14...6`1'...a freshman in Highschool....he was valedictorian of his 8th grade class...and he is thrilled to be in highschool! He is on swim team, which I am pretty sure has alot to do w/ the academics! Not to mention...well, His family!

    Still living here in Trinidad...one mile from the ocean...we have 2 cats and a giant Great Pyranees dog named Chubacka(Chuey)...he is 5.....what was I thinking?! Between the giant dog, and the giant kid...I am fighting to maintain my queenly status around here(Hah)...

    I do flower arrangements for a nice restaurant and take care of a few gardens, and am transitioning from befuddled single mom to.....trying to figure that out! I have turned my kitchen table into my painting studio....and am painting! Yay!(Do you know the "Talking Heads" song that goes"I`m painting, I`m Painting again....I`m cleaning, I`m cleaning my brain"...well, voila, c`st moi! haha

    so pretty much every day I get Conrad off to school, take my dog for a walk, take care of my home and go to one of my jobs...want to paint more! I am not obsessing on surfing...which is kinda sad, but....it is still in my 'toolbox"

    Sending love....I miss you guys! Thank you so much for keeping us posted so well....tell Joanne I love her! I am wondering how Jani is holding up....And well....love you all! xoxoxoLori



    ReplyDelete
  4. for a person like Joanne to not be able to talk....let alone move....But she has always been the most articulate and fast moving talker! I remember it was never quiet at Aunt Dora`s! If you couldn`t talk quickly and loudly....well...I am pretty sure everyone there was pretty strong in that dept! well, anyway, just wanted to throw that in....LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete