Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day 36 // In & Out, On & Off

Kelty and I had an elopement photo shoot at the beach today! It felt really good to get outside a bit, and Jani held down the fort, there at the hospital with JoAnne, as she has been. See below for her updates...

//

Today was mostly a rest day for JoAnne; she was relieved from the anxiousness of yesterday and slept about 4 hours on and off. ..These naps were interspersed with increasingly deeper and clearer bouts of wakeful and humorous exploration:
(after a few-minutes-long explanation of her condition including the fact that she has had a leg removed)

Me: So, you understand about the wounds you have and why they are there? 

JoAnne: Yes....(giving it some thought) How many suites are there in the building? Are there four?

Me: Uh..there are three.

JoAnne: Okay. So I am in pieces, here, sort of. 

Me: No! This (I grab her leg) is connected! These (I grab her arms) are connected! This (I grab her head) is connected! This (I press my hands into her chest) is connected! You aren't a broken robot! You just are missing one part!

JoAnne: Alright.

(later) 

JoAnne: So, let's talk about Florida. I really was on the Space Shuttle.

In other news: 

Body scan: Dr. Chang, the infectious disease guy wanted it done, because he is wonderfully thorough. It revealed two small pockets of fluid--one under her liver and one deep in the buttock tissue. Docs will decide if they are big enough to drain or whether they will just treat with antibiotics. This is pretty normal after-surgery kind of infection, we understand. They are all over it.

Mobility: JoAnne moved her hands a little more dexterously today, and her swallow is better. The O.T. (Occupational Therapist) worked her hard this morning!

Food: Susan brought a gorgeous dinner for me and the girls and we had a great visit. Let Susan order for you at restaurants; you will not be sorry.
 
 //
 
Tonight- I (H) went in tonight to tuck JoAnne in, and was even more impressed about her cognition (and meta-cognition) even since this afternoon. She wanted to talk about her leg more, and seemed to understand what the surgeons had to do to save her life.  She remembers more, and she even mentions that she's confused, which is pretty big as far as awareness goes. Her night nurse the last few nights, Alisha, also mentioned how impressed she was with JoAnne's improvement as far as awareness and movement. It feels really good to see this improvement, even if it means she's more demanding and asking even more questions than before.  :)

Top 5- Your "Top 5" emails have been so great, guys. We read Cressida's to JoAnne tonight (she really enjoyed it!), and plan to read them bit by bit when her attention can handle them. Please keep on sending them in as you have time!

Much love to you all.

Team JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment